Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Stretching Bulk Ground Turkey




Budgeting food means that you stretch your food further than you normally would. Its simple things like buying in bulk that allows me to budget for our family and to easily meal prep. Prior to our lifestyle change we were buying bulk ground beef (check out that post here). Nowadays it’s very rare for us to have ground beef in our home as we no longer eat it. We’ve switched gears and it’s all for the best! We don’t really notice the difference, so we’re definitely not missing our ground beef days.  I no longer buy our ground turkey at Costco as it is a little more expensive than if I buy it at my local Smiths (or Kroger’s). At Costco a 4 pack of 1lb of turkey averages at $20.00 vs Smith’s 3lbs of Jennie O’s Ground Lean turkey is $7.99. I can buy 3 packs at Smith’s to almost equal 1 Costco pack. Granted, I have to do a little work with repackaging but that’s a steal! Here is a little glimpse of how we stretch our ground turkey.

DIRECTIONS
  1. Divide your ground turkey by eyeballing it into thirds.

  2. Taking your food scale, weigh your ground turkey to roughly 1lb each. (Some will weigh more than the others.)
  3. Once turkey is measured out to 1lb individually wrap your portions. (I double wrap mine with saran wrap.)
  4. Place in your freezer laying the portions flat so that they stay flat when frozen.
  5. Thaw out when ready to use.  


I love prepacking our meats so that they’re readily available for me during meal prep days or for dinners. You can easily measure your portions to be 2lbs if you needed. 1lb of ground turkey fits our family well and I never want to make more food if I don’t have.

0 comments:

Post a Comment