Wednesday, September 14, 2016

How To | Season A Cast Iron Skillet




Let’s talk about how clueless I am on the ins and outs of the glorious cast iron pan. Sad to admit that I actually threw away one before because of rusting… I know, I know I’m ashamed of myself too but times have changed and I’ve done a little studying up on these pans and they are to last me FOREVER. My MIL gifted us this particular pan and I shrieked with excitement. Can you blame me? I finally have a good thing going with my pan and am taking good care of it. It’s taking some time for it to be fully seasoned but here is how I get my pan seasoned.I continue this process every so often to keep my pan "non stick".



MATERIALS
  • Cast iron skillet
  • Dish soap
  • Sponge or stiff brush 
  • Clean, dry cloth or paper towels
  •  Oil of your choice ( I used canola and olive )
DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Wash the skillet with warm, soapy water and a stiff brush.
3. Rinse and thoroughly dry the skillet.
4. Using a paper towel, apply a thin coat of oil  to the inside and outside of the skillet.

5. Place the skillet upside down on the oven's center rack.
7. Bake for an hour to two hours.
8. Turn off heat and allow to the skillet to cool completely before removing from oven.

1 comments:

  1. I always end up ruining my iron skillet by over cooking! I've tried and tried to fix it, but to no avail. I love your tips. I will be sure to try them! TIA Xoxo

    ReplyDelete