Monday, September 28, 2015

DIY| Pie Filing From Canned Fruit

 



Have you ever found yourself in the situation where you need pie filling and you only have canned fruit? That was my exact dilemma last week. All I had was canned fruit and I really didn’t want to go back to the store to buy pie filling. SPOILER ALERT: I made my own pie filling from the canned fruit and it tasted a lot better than the pie filling I would’ve bought had I gone to the store. Lazy girl, win!

INGREDIENTS:


  • 29 oz fruit in juice ( sliced or diced )
  • ¼ cup – ½ cup sugar ( adjust by your taste)
  • 3 tablespoons corn starch (more if needed)
  • 3 tablespoons juice from can


DIRECTIONS:


1.       In a small bowl, take 3 tablespoons of juice from the can and mix with cornstarch, mix until completely dissolved and set aside.


2.      Add fruit, remaining fruit juice and sugar to a saucepan and heat to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved.



3.      Slowly add slurry of cornstarch to fruit mixture. Keep stirring.
4.      Reduce heat and simmer until your desired thickness. (I let mine simmer for approximately 10 minutes.)
5.      Let cool and use as needed or store for later use in a mason jar.

0 comments:

Post a Comment