Friday, November 29, 2013

Apple Crazy!!

Thanks to my trip to Apple Hill a couple weeks ago, I'm trying to create everything apple.... and I mean EVERYTHING.


So far I've made apple turnovers, pancakes, muffins and of course an apple pie. I'm  trying to get my money's worth from the 13 lbs of apples that I bought. ( I know that sounds a lot of apples.. haha when I told Waymon his eyes got as big as Sass' from disbelief) In my defense, I've eaten an apple everyday since I've bought my box of apples:) I'm trying to recreate a simple packaged food and transform it into my own. I would love to say that I have PLENTY of time these days, but I don't so I'm making things a little easier on myself with semi-homemade recipes.

Apple Turnovers 
I ate about 3 of these before I brought them to work:) All of them were gone by the time I left at 2:45 pm. I was EXTREMELY happy with the results of these. They are easy and yummy. What could be better?

Ingredients:
-1 package of crescent rolls
-1 apple- diced
-Agave *healthy alternative to honey*
-Cinnamon sugar made up of - Stevia & Cinnamon:) *healthy alternative to sugar*

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees
-Unravel all rolls from package and lay out on clean surface
-Place apples on bigger end of crescent roll
-Sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture and drizzle with agave
-Roll up crescent roll as directions state on package
-Place all rolls on an ungreased baking sheet
-Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown

Apple turnovers


Apple Pancakes/Muffins
I made an alternative type of pancake trying to not use flour. I will probably use this recipe for the baby when she gets to eat solid food (minus the almonds) so that it is lighter and easy to digest for her. :)

Ingredients:
-3 packets of plain oatmeal (mixed this up in my bullet and it makes oat flour! )
-2 apples peeled, cored  and chopped/shredded * I would use shredded for the baby*
-handful of pumpkin spiced almonds - in my case a couple handfuls (mix this up in your bullet and it will be come almond flour)
-1 tablespoon sugar in the raw *in place of sugar* 
-1/4 teaspoon cinnamon *use as much or as little as you'd like*
-1 egg
-1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-1/4 cup melted butter
-1 cup milk
-coconut oil spray for pan/muffin tins (you could also use canola oil)

Directions
-Preheat pan for pancakes or preheat oven to 350 degrees for muffins
-In large bowl, combine butter, egg, milk, apple and mix together- don't over mix.
-Fold in all dry ingredients with the wet ingredients
-Spray pan with coconut oil and pour batter in (as much or as little as you want) for pancakes.
-Flip pancakes as soon as the first side of pancake is browned - this happens quickly
-Spray muffin pan for muffins with coconut oil and pour in batter 3/4 of the way. Bake for 20-30 min                 until you perform the toothpick test and it comes out clean. :)

Apple pancakes
Apple muffins

Apple Pie
This is my first time making apple pie and it turned out great! My house smells like heaven now! :) I used the skills I got from Rachel Ray !!

Ingredients:
- 1 box of premade pie crust (Mine was from target)
-1/3 cup sugar in the raw
-1/3 cup brown sugar
-4 tablespoons butter (half melted and half cubed)
-3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
-5 apples (peeled, cored and cut)
-pinch of salt


Directions:
-Preheat oven to 425 degrees
-Unravel 1 pie crust and press pie crust into round baking pan
-Use pinch motion to get crust to be a little fancy. Use left thumb and index finger to create a "pinching" motion, while using the right index finger to make an indent in the crust. (You don't have to do this) 
-Mix sugars, salt, cinnamon and apples in large bowl
-Drop 1/4 of the cubed butter onto crust before putting apples onto crust
-After putting all apples onto crust put the next 1/4 cubed butter on top
-Unravel 2nd pie crust and fold into fourths. Cut any shape you'd like into the crust. Slowly unravel and top pie (You don't have to do this. You could simply unravel and place on top of pie)
-Place pie into oven for 20 minutes
-After 20 minutes place foil around pie edges to prevent burnt edges and place back in the oven
-After 10 minutes brush melted butter on top of pie and place pie back into the oven
-When timer goes off brush remaining butter on top of pie
-You have to wait 2-3 hours to dig in (Honestly, the hardest part D: )


Pinching motion















Cutting pie crust into snowflake pattern:)


Finished product! 



1 comments:

  1. 3 Studies SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    This means that you actually get rid of fat by eating Coconut Fat (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medical magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete