Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The Birth "Plan"


I know that I can't control anything at this point in my pregnancy. It's all up to H on what is going to happen and how they're going to happen, but I have thought about every option we have to deliver her. I honestly, thought that I would be delivering her C-Section because of my family's history which I'm not opposed to but we're pushing for ( ha oh the irony) a normal vaginal birth. Either way, as long as I get to see my girl we're happy campers. :) 

ATTENDANTS
At my hospital I can have up to 3 people in the room with me while I deliver. Frankly, all I need is Waymon to be there. I don't know what I do without my husband so much so that I don't even want to think about it. He's definitely my rock in everything. He knows how to calm me down and just make me laugh through the toughest times.
 Other than Waymon, Stacy asked  to be in the room with me as well. My best friend beside me isn't a bad thing. :) I've also kept Jon in mind to be in the room with me, but I don't know if I want to put my little brother through all of that.
 However, if I do have a C-section Waymon will be the only one in there with me. 

AMENITIES
I'm not keen on bringing music to play or dimming the lights while I deliver. All I care about is that everything is peaceful and relaxing during labor and delivery. I'll take my Ipad and phone with me so that I can occupy myself (hello Pinterest!) , but other than that I'm good. I stress easily, so I don't need any unnecessary crap when I'm trying to relax. 

HOSPITAL ADMISSION & PROCEDURES
If at all possible, I want Waymon to be by my side at all times. I'd probably freak out without him there. Unless, I have a C-section where I know that there will be a time where I can't be with him.  

LABOR PROPS
I don't think I'll be needed any labor props other than my warm rice bag. I think I'd kill myself trying to bounce on a huge labor ball. 

PAIN RELIEF
I'm pretty good with pain. I don't usually make that much of a fool of myself when I am in pain. I keep to myself and try to breathe through what I can. I want to say that I'm going to man up and not get an epidural, but I'm not superwoman. I'm going to try to stand it as long as possible, but I'm going to get an epidural. I know that my OB is not joking when he tells me that our baby is big. I know she is. I can feel her all the time. Pain meds and me are going to be BFF's. The only time I wouldn't get the epidural is if I'm truly too late in getting it and I have to push her our immediately. There's nothing I can do about the latter. 

VAGINAL BIRTH
During birth: I don't want the mirror. NO NO NO. Waymon can also be right beside me when I'm delivering. He doesn't want to see the "miracle" happening before his eyes and neither do I. That's something we can just leave up to our imaginations. 
I want Waymon to cut the umbilical cord as soon as he can. I don't want to wait on that. I know that some people wait while it's still pulsing. 

After birth: I'd like to hold my baby skin to skin. My hospital is good with not cleaning the baby and weighing her right after she comes out. I want to breast feed as soon as she comes out so that we bond. After all of that they can take her and do what they need to do as long as she doesn't need immediate medical attention.
 
Pictures are fine after delivery not during. No videos will come out of that room. The one thing I want to remember is seeing my girl's face for the first time and I can take mental pictures for that one. Other than that, I don't care how many pictures are taken AFTER baby and I are all camera ready. Labor and delivery is hard .. I can say that I don't want to remember me looking like a hot mess on a gross table. 

C-SECTION
I want Waymon there as much as he can be. I don't think I have the option of breast feeding right after delivery. So my doctor and nurses will have to do what they have to with baby girl . But I would like Waymon to hold H as soon as she's good to be held. I really want bonding to happen after delivery either way. 

POSTPARTUM
I want to be there for any newborn procedures as I can and if I can't be there I want Waymon to always be there with her. I'd like H to stay in our room if she can so that we can be with her. I'm not worried about how tired I will be or anything like that. I will sleep when she does so that I don't miss anything. 

FEEDING ISSUES
I plan to breastfeed exclusively until 10 days before going back to work. At that point, I will be introducing her to breast milk through a bottle with Waymon. I won't be feeding her with a bottle so that she doesn't get nipple confusion. Waymon will be doing bottle feedings as well as anyone else who has/wants to feed her. I want her to have the best nutrition possible and I know that that's through breast milk. If there is any reason why she can't take breast milk that will be the only reason why I would change my mind. We won't be using any pacifiers either for her. 

DISCHARGE
I'd like to be discharged as soon as possible from the hospital. I don't want to stay there longer than I have to be there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment