Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Throwback Thursday: DIY Ornaments




 For Christmas, I made my ornaments for both sets of Grandparents, our family and Uncle Jon.  I wanted to make an ornament that was special for Haidyn’s first Christmas and for Sassafras, at the same time I wanted it to be something simple for us to treasure for years to come.  Haidyn had fun create her ornaments right up until she realized that we weren’t eating the dough. Sassafras, on the other hand, hated the entire idea from the get go and squirmed more than Haidyn did. After my struggle of getting both of them on board, both girls didn’t disappoint me with the finished product. This would be a great keepsake for pets or kids!
   
Salt Dough Ingredients: 
  • 1/2  cup of salt
  • 1 cup of flour
  • 1/2 cup of water *more if dough needs it


What You’ll Need for Ornament:

  • 1  Acrylic paint for decorating (optional)
  • 2  Sharpie for writing ( optional)
  • 3 Ribbon for hanging * I used 2 different colors of twine.

DIRECTIONS

  1.   Mix together all ingredients.
  2.   Knead dough for 7-10 minutes or until smooth. Dough should be similar to cookie dough
  3.   Flour your surface and roll out your dough to your desired thickness- mine was an about ¼ in to ½ in thick.
  4.  Cut out the shapes of your ornaments. I took a large glass and cut my in circles.
  5.   Press in your child/animal hand/paw print onto the dough and continue for all of the ornaments you have to create.  ** I had to snatch mine away from Haidyn because she thought she was going to eat a cookie.
  6. Poke holes with a straw at the top of each ornament. 
  7.  Bake ornaments at 200 degrees for 2-3 hours or air dry for a 1-2 days until dry.
  8. Once ornaments are dry you can decorate them as you please. * I didn’t decorate mine because I loved how simple they look.                       
    TBT from 3 years ago from Haidyn's 1st Christmas!

0 comments:

Post a Comment